This evening I cashed in on a “free class” card at a local yoga/zumba/kickboxing studio, Kismet Wellness, and left with 21 days of classes! I am PUMPED. I may have mentioned this before, but 21 days makes a habit and that is something I believe in, so I am going to do my best to get in 21 classes. Sounds intimidating, but what better way to guide me through the holidays?
Tonight’s class was introductory at best. It was the beginner’s kick boxing. Brad was the instructor and explained that the class focuses on Plyometric conditioning and HIIT. We did some ladder drills (love them!) and some basic punching combos. Seeing my ability to catch on to 4 movement combinations makes the thought of Zumba VERY intimidating. One thing I was not a fan of was the fact we ran around without shoes on. NOT MY THING. (There’s this guy at my gym who runs on the treadmill in bare feet and I just can’t stand it, to the point of me contemplating turning him in to the gym police – it’s bad).
Other takeaways from the class:
- No dairy!! We are the only animal that drinks/eats another animal’s milk (typing that sounds really gross)
- No coffee – your body doesn’t know how to metabolize the caffeine (seems to make sense)
- Drink tons of water non stop
- If you do all of the above you will be bouncing off the walls like the instructor from 4 AM – 9 PM each day!! What more could you ask for!!
- LifeAlive in Lowell is where it’s at according to one of my fellow beginners. She said the food is delicious and organic and served with the best intentions. I will put this on my to-do list!
- Have to work on my tough face.
- Not a fan when instructor’s say “we can do moves like athletes do”, come on now.
Wish me luck!